Sunday, May 11, 2008

PC Trouble

While at work I open at least four to five files. Aside from that there were also websites running, yahoo messenger, Outlook Express and other applications I'm using. My office PC still runs so smooth even all those apps are open. My past time are downloading music and other cool applications although sometimes if I find that the apps are not useful I will instantly delete it.

I believe my PC is getting so weary from its two years continuous work with no proper maintenance. I noticed that for two weeks, my PC is running very slow especially when I opened multiple applications… or sometimes even if I am working with only a single file and one open website. There’s no difference in the PC’s performance whether it is loaded or not. I tried to defragment it and perform a disk cleanup
several times but to no avail. I also tried deleting unneccesary files and my big collection of mp3s and photos. I even throw temporary files into junk . My desktop is clutter-free too. I asked the computer guy who came here last week but he said he can’t do anything coz he said it will only be like this because I keep adding and uploading files. He advised me to use a blower to clean up the dust inside the CPU. But then he had no blower with him and it’s not possible for him to come back next time. Knowing our boss, he surely won’t mind if our system keeps running this slow.
Every morning for one week I would try to delete files and check what else I can do to make the PC performance back to its normal speed. But I really can’t do anything. I guess it needs to be upgraded. Because of all this deleting and clicking, I suddenly realized that I can’t open a folder. It is actually opening but when I double-clicked a folder it directs me to a Search window instead of showing me the contents of that folder. I recalled that I went to Folder Options and did something but restored it back, that is the last thing I know I did. But even if I tried to go back there and restore its default program it did not help. I tried to search online and walah! I got it! It says there that the problem normally occurs when you add or modify the File Folder or Drive entries in the Folder Options > File Types tab.

If you happen to encounter the same problem this is how you can fix it manually:

  • Open the Registry Editor. In the Start menu click Run. Then type regedit and hit the Enter key.
  • Once inside the registry, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES>ROOT\Directory\shell and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell.
  • In the right pane of both two folders, click (Default) value. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
  • Type the word 'none' in the Value data box then click OK.
  • Once done click Exit.
  • I tried the quick fix but it didn’t work so I guess it’s better you perform the manual fixing.

No comments: